Thursday, August 18, 2011

Ten for Ten

My oldest child turned ten last week. I cannot hardly fathom how I went from a newlywed to a mother of a 10-year old in such a short time! But as I watch him grow into such a young man that I can be so proud of, I have to admit that he is quickly leaving childhood in the dust. Don't get me wrong .... we do still have those moments when I roll my eyes and wonder if anything I ever taught him will sink in. But those moments are fading out and  I only have the mercies of God to thank that my son is growing in wisdom.

Anyways, Josiah wanted a party. A boy's party! And boy, did we have BOYS. Ten of them! He invited 8 of his best friends {plus 2 more that couldn't come. Maybe the Lord knew how many I could corral at once} for an overnight camp-out. They all arrived mid-afternoon and launched straight into an air-soft gun war. Do not even ask me why. I do not understand the mind of a male in this area. But they all thought in was tremendously fun, even the Dad. And this new property of ours has no lack of excellent war zones.



Then I packed up their picnic supper into a basket, we got them started with a campfire, and they were on their own. They loved that part, by the way. Man against the wild, I guess.





They all slept in the hay mow on beds of hay. Oh, how many memories I have of doing the same thing!! And they were all back in my kitchen bright and early in the morning for breakfast.


            {waiting for breakfast; arm wrestling}

I made 3 huge batches of pancakes, 2 boxes of sausages, and 2 jugs of juice. They all seemed mighty impressed. I am learning here! Boys + Food = a happy combo!!


As soon as breakfast was cleaned up, we headed off to a water park just 5 minutes up the road from us. This particular event had been the point of MUCH anticipation for months in advance. And they were not disappointed! Hours of fun in whirlpools, slides that left them gasping with the speeds, and huge buckets that randomly dumped on their heads. Again, boy heaven!






{the littlest boy loved it too!}


After swimming, I took the tribe to Arby's for lunch, and then returned them all to their own homes. Josiah told me over & over how pleased and delighted he was with his party. Such simple things, really, yet it's so special when they are done just for you! That evening for supper, we had chicken & veggie stir-fry over rice, Jo's request. And cake & ice cream, of course.





And after supper, the long-awaited birthday present! I caught his first expression on camera as Daddy walked through the door ....


His very own real, non-toy, guitar & amp.


Happy 10th Birthday, Josiah!

No comments:

Post a Comment