Saturday, August 14, 2010

~ Saturdays ~

I have always loved Saturdays. When I was a little girl, my sisters & I would hurry through breakfast, then spend the rest of the morning glued to the radio. Ranger Bill started off at 8:30, then Uncle Charlie, Odyssey, and Request Time. Dad was always home, which meant following him around the shop, helping pull nails, or maybe if we got lucky, go along to an auction. Another frequent activity was "going for a drive", during which we'd explore all sorts of back roads, ice cream shops, creeks, and best of all, abandoned houses. If Dad could get a door open, we'd take ourselves a little tour of the house, and dream of how we would fix it up, which bedroom we'd claim as our own, and which wall we'd knock out to open it up alittle. To this day I love going through old houses, and I still have a very keen eye for uninhabited ones!

And I still love Saturdays. A leisure morning sleeping until we feel like getting up. Of sitting around in PJs til half-past late, talking, praying, and learning as a family. A chance to make and enjoy a bigger breakfast like pancakes and eggs and sausage. A time when Mama can spend hours searching for just the right Lego Minifigure on E-bay with little boys at each elbow. Or take the little girlies pretend-shopping with plastic coins in little purses. On Saturdays Daddy is {usually} home, and the possibilities for fun are endless. More than anything, Saturdays to me speak of family, of doing & being together. And I love that.  Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Thanks! that realy made me laugh, you really somed up our father, such good memories!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete