Friday, October 1, 2010

Apple Cidering

Every year one of our favorite activities which signals Autumn's arrival is making apple cider. My Dad in true Gehman form, designed & built his very own apple cider press. I love to see it in action. I would almost venture to say that I would have known it was his even if I had not seen him make it. The talent that man has to visualize something  -and then make it-  floors me. I love it!




This year's apple cider day was balmy compared to those of past years. No frozen fingers stiffly fumbling to wash and sort apples, no layers of jackets and coats and leggings, no bitter wind urging us to finish up quickly. We picked up bushels of apples in the orchard ... yellows, reds, greens. The more flavors & varieties the better cider you get. The little girls had so much fun helping Grandma wash apples. Then through the chopper .... the press .... the strainer ... and into jugs. We stopped with 32 gallons to share, simply because our freezers are too full. There seemed to be just as many apples as when we arrived.








This whole week now I've wished for spiced hot cider. So tonight I poured half a gallon of cider in a pot, added some cinnamon sticks, a few whole cloves, and a touch of brown sugar. Simmered it together for 15 minutes, and ladled a cupful out. Ooohhhhh! It was so perfect. I have to confess I am on my 3rd cupful. It's like Autumn in a teacup.


No comments:

Post a Comment