Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Homespun Christmas

Christmas seems to be getting less & less complicated the more babies I have. In fact, last year I did not put up one candle or wreath. Why bother when little people yank them down, destoy garlands, eat candles, and and smash Mary & the wise man? Is it worth my frustration to try to preserve the 'look' of Christmas?

But this year I decided I had to do something. I want my little people to love Christmas, to catch the excitement in the air AND in their Mommy. I want them to look forward to the special events and extra-fun splurges that are just for once-a-year.

Soooo ... we dug out the nativity set. Bought a few cheap-o replacement pieces at Wal-Mart. And oh, it's been fun watching the little ones learn who's who. And we went to the live animal Christmas Play. Yes, it was torture making 2 tots sit for 2+ hours, but it was also so rewarding to see how much the older ones understood and grasped. Christi was in awe of the angel. "Mom!", she whispered! "It is my first time ever seeing a real, live angel!" Next on my list is making a gingerbread house. I have never tried it before, but judging by the excitement factor of the other participants, it cannot fail. I also want to do some cut-out cookies {big hit!}.




Another simple idea that I am loving is something I saw at a MOPS meeting a few weeks ago. You hang clusters of Christmas tree ornaments on longs ribbons. I recently found all Christmas decor at 50% off at a local thrift shop, so I scored a large bagful for just a few dollars. This morning Christi helped string them onto ribbons, and we all love the results!!


I did 3 clusters like this, and the best part is, the little ones can't even touch them!



What do you do with your little ones to make Christmas special?

1 comment:

  1. The hanging ornaments is such a cute idea!
    A couple of years ago I bought a Fisher Price Little People Nativity set, and that's the set the kids are (of course!) allowed to play with. They love it. :)

    ReplyDelete