Sunday, September 19, 2010

Call Her Blessed

Every now & then I drink too much Southern Sweet Tea. I think that the year I spent living in the South has forever corrupted us that way. *grin* A few select people here in the Midwest have learned the art of sweet-tea-making, but as a whole this part of the country offers bitter, nasty, unsweetened stuff that is totally unappetising. But that is completely besides the point ....

One such tea-laden night way back in January, I lay awake in bed long past a decent hour, wide awake. And as usual my mind was spinning. I remembered that my Beloved Mother was turning 50 this year, and I began to think, ... hmmm ... unlike my Father (who turned 50 last summer & strictly warned us NOT to throw a party), I bet she would love a party in her honor! In my mind, I began planning it all out .... dim lights, candles, flowers, glassware, elegance, ... right down to the theme colors of black, silver & lavender and the list of friends to invite. I knew I would do it, even though I had 7 months yet to plan it!

Fast forward to August, 2010. I had arranged the location. Lined up the decorations. Ordered the cake. The guests were all invited. And the big surprise was that BOTH of my out-of-state sisters flew in for the party! And big surprise #2 -- my mom's parents drove out for it too! My house was just about buzzing with excitement and anticipation that morning of the 28th as I fetched my sisters from the airport, picked up the cake, and began last minute preparations.

~ Entrance Arbor ~


~ The Table ~

Finally the moment came when Mama was supposed to meet me to "go out for supper together". See, we had a plan. We had "reservations" at a "fancy place" and I was taking her out for her birthday. *grin* To say she was surprised would be a severe understatement.


Then the fun began. Over delectable hors-de'voirs, everyone shared how they first met Mama. Then everyone told a favorite memory of some way that she had impacted their lives. There was lots of laughter {remember the time she yelled 'yoo-hooo' to a golfer who was all set to take his perfect swing} and quite a few tears {where in the world would we be without her tremendous example}. It was most definitely a time of rising up and calling her blessed. Extremely fitting.

~Mama, her Mom, and her 4 girls ~

We love you Mama! Here's to 50 more birthdays!

No comments:

Post a Comment